Is Your Family at Risk from Lead Paint?
What You Need To Know
Lead paint was commonly used in the US prior to 1978, when it was banned, but not before being used in over 38 million homes. Exposure to lead can affect development of the brain and nervous system, particularly in children. This can cause reduced IQ, learning disabilities and behavioral problems. Older homes, child care facility, schools and other buildings are more likely to contain lead paint, the percentages are as follows:
- Built between 1960-1978= 24%
- Built between 1940-1960= 69%
- Built before 1940= 87%
What Do I Do About Lead Paint?
Usually, lead paint that is in good repair and maintained properly is not hazardous. The danger comes whenever paint dust is present, or the paint is disturbed, either by peeling or by a construction or restoration project. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires firms performing renovation, repair and painting projects on buildings with lead paint to be certified by the EPA in the use of lead-safe practices. An EPA certified firm shall follow the following lead-safe procedures.
- Contain the work area
- Minimize dust
- Clean up thoroughly
SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale North is certified by the EPA to handle restoration jobs involving lead paint safely, using approved procedures to avoid potential harm to your family.
How Can I Protect My Family From Lead Exposure?
- If you are renting your property, notify your landlord if you notice peeling or chipping paint.
- Clean up any paint chips immediately.
- Regularly clean floors, window sills and other painted surfaces. Use a mop, sponge or paper towel with warm water and an all purpose cleaner, or a cleaner designed specifically for lead.
- Thoroughly rinse sponges and mop heads after cleaning dusty areas.
- Wash children’s toys, bottles and pacifiers often.
- Keep children from licking or chewing on window sills or other painted surfaces.
- Make sure children maintain a healthy diet, as recommended by the USDA. A healthy diet lowers the risk of harm from lead.
- Clean and remove shoes before entering your home to avoid tracking in lead from soil.
When it comes to the safety of your family, you don’t want to take any unnecessary risks. If you’re in need of a restoration service, contact SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale North, the team you know will work safely in a lead paint environment.