2018 Dos and Do Nots: Fire Damage
Fire damage dos:
- For water and fire damage restoration, DO call SERVPRO of Ft Lauderdale North!
- Limit the amount of movement through the affected area to prevent the spread of soot and other particles which may cause additional damages. If the affected area is too large to avoid, evacuate while repairs are being done.
- Placing large clean rags, or old linens on rugs and upholstery in your home can also help prevent the spread of soot.
- Coating chrome fixtures like your faucets, or other parts of appliances with petroleum jelly.
- If there is water in your home and on your floors, protect your furniture by putting a barrier like foil or wooden blocks where the furniture touches the floor.
Fire damage do nots:
- Do not try to clean or shampoo any carpets, rugs, or upholstery. Trying to clean up fire damage yourself is extremely hazardous to your personal health. Always call a professional.
- Do not wash any walls or other painted surfaces yourself- improper cleaning can stain the walls.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment as this is dangerous, have a professional look at it, or replace it.
- Do not send clothes to a dry cleaner as improper cleaning can set smoke odors and stains.
After a fire takes place, there's a million things on your mind. Hopefully you had a plan in place to protect your loved ones and important property. To help protect your home and belongings from further damage, here are a few tips for what you should and should not do after fire damage takes place.
Give us a call at (954) 733-1006 or visit our website at http://www.SERVPROftlauderdalenorth.com/