Weather the Storm in Wilton Manors: Emergency Evacuation Kit
What if you had to Evacuate your Wilton Manors home?
With possibilities of other hurricanes yet to come and 2 months left of hurricane season, we at SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale North want to remind you to be prepared.
When models show us in the path of a tropical storm or hurricane, we all “storm” to stock up on items and be ready before it hits. But what if you can't bunker down this time around? What if a mandatory evacuation is announced?
When at this point, most stores are low on inventory and long lines amass. The best practice is to prepare the essentials ahead of time, instead of in the nick of time. If you've ever been through the couple of days before a hurricane or through the evacuation process, you know how crazy your local grocery store, gas stations and highways are.
You have to be prepared for anything, especially when dealing with a potential category 4 or 5 hurricane. Please find below a list of necessities and reminders. Don’t have time to read it? No problem! Check out SERVPRO’s hurricane preparedness video.
- Water: 1 gallon per person/pet for at least 3 days
- Nonperishable foods
- Pet food, if applicable
- Hand crank radio or weather radio
- Extra batteries
- Baby diapers, wipes and formula, if applicable
- Feminine hygiene items
- Manual can opener
- First aid kit
If planning on staying at evacuation shelters, pack as well:
- Entertainment options (books, cards, board games),
- Change of clothes
- Ensure your pet is wearing a tag with your contact information linked,
- Pet carrier
- Bowls to provide food and water
- Fill up your car’s tank with gas. Especially if considering evacuation.
- If there are power outages you will be unable to use any card or to take out money from an ATM.
- Gather important documentation in a waterproof container, such as identifications, insurance documents, titles or deeds, pictures that would otherwise be irreplaceable. Be mindful to keep it light to ensure you can carry it on your person.
Useful resources: Stay updated to know the latest on the storm’s development and path.
- Online http://www.weather.gov/
- On the radio http://www.weather.gov/nwr/
- Need help finding Hurricane Evacuation Shelters? Please follow the link below to find one near you.
Disaster happens. Don't let it get worse before it gets better.
Being Hurricane Ready is the most important skill for a Wilton Manors family. Your hurricane preparation should be complete well before a storm hits. The American Red Cross has an additional hurricane preparation checklist available here. SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale North hopes you have a safe and damage-free storm season, but should disaster strike, SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale North will arrive "Faster to Any Disaster" and make it "Like it Never Even Happened."
Give us a call at (954) 733-1006 or visit our website at http://www.SERVPROftlauderdalenorth.com/