Here’s Why To Hire Professionals To Handle Fire Damage
A fire can be a devastating experience and cleaning up and restoring your home to its previous condition will certainly be your primary concern in the aftermath.
It can be a stressful and emotional time for you and your family and it’s understandable if you just want everything handled and repaired as quickly as possible, but when fire strikes you need to proceed with caution.
Repairing fire damage can be a complicated process, as there is more involved than just soot and dirt
The firefighting efforts can also cause their share of destruction, including broken glass and water damage.
For this reason, it is highly recommended that you rely on the services of trained remediation professionals to help restore your home after a fire.
What Can The Pros Do For You?
Fire can strike for any number of reasons, including after one of the many tropical storms that regularly hit the Fort Lauderdale area.
Homes, commercial properties and even boats in one of the area’s many marinas can all be at risk and may require the services of a professional remediation company like SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale North.
While it may be tempting to roll up your sleeves and begin the clean-up process yourself, there are some specific reasons why hiring a professional service is a better idea:
- They’re trained to handle the danger – Fire cleanup can be a very dangerous process. Not only can there be hazards like broken glass and weakened support structures, there may also be toxic chemicals and mold present. A professional remediation company is trained to identify these kinds of hazards and take the proper steps to both avoid and address them.
- They understand the regulations involved – There are specific fire regulations in place in Broward County (https://www.broward.org/CodeAppeals/Documents/fireamend2009.pdf) and as a professional remediation company in the Ft. Lauderdale North area, SERVPRO is up to date on those regulations and knows exactly what steps to take to ensure that your property is adhering to them.
- They are trained to restore a wide range of items – Fire damage can affect any number of surfaces in your home, from walls and floors to fabrics and fibers. A study by the University of Missouri outlines some of the delicate handling required for fire damaged fabrics (https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/gh145). With our comprehensive training in fire damage remediation, we know what it takes to address damage to your home and belongings and have the necessary equipment and techniques to properly address it.
We’re Ready To Handle Your Restoration
At SERVPRO, our technicians have been certified in fire and smoke restoration by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and we are prepared to handle every step of the restoration process.
We’ll inspect for structural issues, address the removal of fire debris, soot and smoke, take steps to ensure air purification and the removal of odors, fully address any water damage to prevent mold buildup and take steps to protect the contents of your home as well.
Though every fire damage situation is unique, there is a general process we follow for fire damage restoration, which includes:
- Emergency Contact – We’ll ask all of the pertinent questions when you make your initial call so we’ll be prepared to handle your specific situation once we arrive on site.
- Inspection and Assessment –The on-site process begins with a thorough inspection of your home and property, including rooms adjoining the damaged area to identify any issues and help us prepare a plan of attack.
- Board up and Roof Tarping – Windows, walls and roofs can be compromised by fire damage. We’ll board up any missing windows or walls and put a tarp on your roof to prevent any further problems.
- Water Removal and Drying – Mold can develop quickly after water damage, so we’ll move fast to remove any excess water and ensure that the area is completely dry to avoid mold issues.
- Removal of Soot and Smoke – We use specialized equipment to remove soot and smoke from ceilings, walls and other surfaces.
- Cleaning and Sanitizing – Once the water and soot is addressed, we use a variety of techniques to thoroughly clean and sanitize all surfaces and any items that were damaged by the fire. We’ll also use industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment to help remove odors.
- Restoration – Our end goal is to restore your home to its pre-fire condition and we’ll take any necessary steps to repair the damage, whether that means replacing drywall and carpeting, painting or undertaking the entire reconstruction of a room.
We’re Part of Your Community
We live here in the Ft. Lauderdale North area ourselves, so we have a vested interest in helping this community. At SERVPRO, we are committed to responding faster to any disaster, but our service doesn’t stop there. We’ll also go the extra mile to ensure that your home is treated with the same loving care you would give it yourself. That means returning your home to its pre-fire condition and making sure it’s safe for you and your family.
As traumatic as fire damage can be, you can rest easier when you put your home in the trained hands of the SERVPRO restoration professionals.